Home Page

Creeting St Mary CEVAP School

Anything is Possible

Home Page

Creeting St Mary Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School

Creeting St Mary CEVAP School

Anything is Possible


SEND and our School

At Creeting St Mary CEVAP School, we are committed to the equal inclusion of ALL children in ALL areas of school life. We recognise the diverse and individual needs of all of our pupils and take into account the additional support required by those with SEND.

Q&A about SEND and our School
(Our Information Report for 2021)


1. What are Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)?

A child or young person has SEND if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.This is provision that is additional to or different from that made generally for other children the same age.

Special educational needs and provision at our school can be considered under four broad areas:

● Communication and interaction

● Cognition and learning

● Social, emotional and mental health

● Sensory and/or physical

Many children and young people who have SEN may have a disability – that is ‘a physical or mental impairment which has a long-term and substantial adverse effect on their ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities’. This definition includes sensory impairments and long-term health conditions. Where a disabled child requires special educational provision they will also be covered by the SEN definition.


2. How does the school know if a child has SEND?

Children are identified at our school as having SEND through a variety of ways which may include some of the following:

● Liaison with nursery or previous school

● Cycle of Assess, Plan, Do and Review: including classroom-based assessment, tracking individual child’s progress over time, planning and high quality teaching adapted to meet individual needs, reviewing impact

● Concerns raised by a member of staff and/or by a parent

● Information from other services

● Use of tools for standardised assessment

We do not assume just because a child is making slower progress than expected that the child has SEND, but if there are any concerns they will be discussed with the parents.


Children with an Education Health Care (EHC) plan will already have their needs identified. Their placement at our school is a decision made by parents and the Local Authority.


3. What do I do if I have concerns?

Please do come and speak to us. In the first instance, contact your child’s class teacher to discuss your concerns. Alternatively, you could speak to our School SENCO.


4. If my child does have SEND, how will the school support my child? 

Each child identified as having SEND receives a Pupil Passport (see Q6). The class teacher will plan and work with each child with SEND in their class. The school SENCO and Senior Leadership Team oversee the progress of any child identified as having SEND. 


5. How will the curriculum be differentiated to match my child’s needs?

All learning activities within class are planned at an appropriate level, so that all children are able to access the learning according to their specific needs. The class teacher and SENCO will discuss a child’s needs and what support will be appropriate. Children with SEND will have access to the appropriate resources needed in order to support them and help them make progress.


6. What is a Pupil Passport meeting? How will I know how my child is doing? How will you help me to support my child’s learning? How will my child be able to contribute their views?

A Pupil Passport meeting is a termly meeting, where the child, parent(s)/carer(s) and class teacher meet together. Where appropriate, the SENCO may also attend the meeting. Strengths, areas for development, progress and targets are discussed. All support, including targets, are detailed on a child’s Pupil Passport. During these meetings you will be informed about how your child is doing and your child will be able to contribute their own views. Feedback is sought from parents, the child and staff involved in working with them. We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help to support your child at home. If your child has an EHC plan there will be formal meetings to discuss your child’s progress and a report will be written annually.


7. How do we assess if our SEND support has had a positive impact?
The SENCO monitors and assesses progress. If your child is making progress against their individual targets and/or national/age expected levels and the gap is narrowing between them and their peers, this will indicate that the differentiation has had a positive impact. We track children’s progress from entry at Year R through to Year 6 and analyse children’s progress in learning against national and age-related expectations. Please do ask us if you require any further details.


8. What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the school?

Staff are trained in supporting children with SEND. We work closely with external agencies that we feel are relevant to supporting individual children’s needs within our school: these include health and social care bodies, local authority support services and voluntary sector organisations. We will always discuss any application to a specialist service with parents.


9. How will my child be included in the curriculum, including school trips?

All children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and we aim for all children to be included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful and may discuss this in advance with parents. It might be appropriate for a parent/carer to accompany a child on a school trip, depending on the child’s individual needs. A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity. In the unlikely event that it is considered unsafe for a child to take part in an activity, then alternative activities that cover the same curriculum areas will be provided within the school environment, wherever possible.


10. How will the school prepare and support my child when joining or leaving the school?

We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting. For children starting in Reception, we hold a meeting for parents, in addition to planning visits for children through the Summer term. This helps children, parents and staff to get to know each other. We liaise closely with the staff when receiving and transferring children to and from different schools, ensuring that relevant paperwork is received/passed on and all needs are discussed and understood. If your child has an EHC Plan then the review will be used as a transition planning meeting to which we will invite staff from both schools.


11. What is the Pastoral and Social Support available in school?

We hold a child’s emotional and spiritual development as a priority and recognise that children need to be loved, cared for and nurtured. Each class teacher has responsibility for the pastoral and social care of every child in their class and the Senior Leadership Team has overall responsibility. Please do speak to us if you have any concerns. 


12. How accessible is the school environment?

More information can be found in our Accessibility Policy. If you have specific access queries please speak with us.


13. Who can I contact for further information?

For further information please contact our SENCO at the school - phone 01449 720312 or email Our Named Governor for SEND can also be contacted through the school office.


General information relating to SEND can be found on this website page, including the SEND policy. Further information on SEND provision in our school is available from the school SENCO or from your child's class teacher. The school has a complaints policy, which can be read on the Policies area of our website. SENDIASS is an information and advice service - more information is available here: 

Suffolk's Local Offer

All Suffolk local authority maintained schools, which includes Creeting, have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with SEND and are supported by the local authority to ensure all pupils make the best possible progress in school. The local authority refer to their provision as the 'Local Offer'. For more information on Suffolk’s Local Offer, please go to: